Bo Schembechler, the Michigan legend, has died. He passed away at about noon today from heart failure at the age of 77, on the eve of the biggest game Michigan will ever play in. I can't exactly offer memories or stories, since Bo stopped coaching when I was only 3 years old, but it's no secret he brought Michigan Football to the status that it invokes today.
The Michigan Daily will be publishing a special edition of the paper tomorrow morning, to be released prior to the football game. I got a bit of a rush when I was sitting on the couch and the news broke and I got an email from the EIC telling anyone who wasn't busy to get to the paper office ASAP, so I threw on some shoes and ran over there, and walked around campus for a bit to see what was going on, and followed a reporter around as he asked passersby questions, and my Edit Board will meet in a few hours to write the editorial for the special edition. I can't help but think Bo is up in football's Valhalla alongside Bob Ufer and Don Canham and Fielding Yost and all the other Michigan legends, getting ready to watch their Boys in Blue play, and win, the biggest game in the program's history.
Pat Forde
Ivan Maisel
Detroit News Story
CBS Sportsline
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment